Select a language

Grandparents' visitation and custody rights

Region: Ontario Answer Number: 133

Refer to our Disclaimer regarding permitted use of this site.

If you would like to contact government and agency offices relating to this area of law, or review applicable legislation for yourself, click here.

Legal Line provides legal information only. If you want to hire an expert to give you advice on this exact issue, please refer to the professionals that appear below this topic.

Grandparents do not normally have visitation or custody rights in relation to their grandchildren. Both the Children’s Law Reform Act and the Divorce Act only give custody and access rights to the mother and the father of the child. However, any individual, who affects the best interests of the child can apply to the court for an order for custody of or access to a child.

This means that grandparents can apply to the court and try to show that it is in the best interests of the child for them to have custody or access rights. In determining the best interests of a child, courts will consider all circumstances including the love, affection, and emotional ties between the child and the grandparents, views and preferences of the child, ability and willingness of the grandparents to provide the child with guidance and education, and the relationship by blood or through an adoption order between the child and the grandparents.

In general, the court is reluctant to remove the child from his or her parents, or to go against decisions about the child’s best interests made by the parents. Grandparents will only be successful in a claim for custody or access under extraordinary conditions. For example, grandparents may be rewarded custody in cases where both parents are considered ‘unfit’ to raise the child.

A criminal record will affect child custody and adoption. To erase your criminal record, call 1-866-898-7767 or learn more at Pardon Pros. It’s easier than you think.

For legal advice and assistance with grandparent’s visitation and custody rights issues, and custody or access applications, or other family law matters, contact our preferred Family Law Firms and see who’s right for you. 

Axess Family Law

Hart Legal

Shulman Family Lawyers

Was your question answered?

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you