Area of Law: Find a Lawyer or Paralegal
Answer Number: 874
Pro Bono Students Canada (PBSC)Region: Ontario Answer Number: 874
Pro Bono Students Canada (PBSC) is a national organization that provides free legal services to both organizations and individuals in Canada.
As the first pro bono program founded in Canada, and the only national law student program, PBSC has 23 chapters, one in each of the law schools in Canada. PBSC’s national office is located at the University of Toronto. Staffed by a team of seven, the national office oversees and leads 45-50 law students across Canada who run the local chapters.
PBSC’s three key objectives are to:
- Provide law students with volunteer opportunities to develop their legal skills,
- Have a positive impact on the legal profession by promoting the value of pro bono service to the next generation of lawyers, and
- Increase access to justice across Canada
Local Law School Chapters
In every Canadian law school, local chapters of the PBSC are run by volunteer student program coordinators, and supported by the national office and on-site supervisors. The program coordinators have a number of responsibilities, including:
- develop projects,
- recruit volunteers,
- train and monitor students,
- hold PBSC events, and
- hire and transition their successors.
With the support and guidance of the program coordinators, volunteer law students across Canada provide professional legal assistance. They are trained in project development and management, and are provided with the resources needed to create and administer programs.
PBSC local chapters can be found in the following law schools:
- Dalhousie University
- Lakehead University
- Laval University
- McGill University
- Osgoode Hall, York University
- Queen’s University
- The University of Western Ontario
- Thompson Rivers University
- University of Alberta
- University of British Columbia
- University of Calgary
- University of Manitoba
- Université de Moncton
- Université de Montréal
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Ottawa (Civil Law)
- University of Ottawa (Common Law)
- Université du Québec à Montréal
- University of Saskatchewan
- Université de Sherbrooke
- University of Toronto
- University of Victoria
- University of Windsor
For more information about Pro Bono Student Canada (PBSC), visit their website at probonostudents.ca.
You now haveoptions:
- More answers about Find a Lawyer or Paralegal
- Master List of all other areas of law
- Contact our preferred experts and see who's right for you
- Connect with government offices
Was your question answered?