Legal Line is a Federal not-for-profit organization providing access to the laws under which we are governed. Our answers give people the information they need to make informed decisions that impact everyday life.
We empower Canadians by providing free legal information. After learning from our answers, those who still need to speak with a professional are referred to a specific lawyer, government office, or other professional who is trained on that specific legal issue.
Educating the public about the laws that govern them is an essential element in advancing the cause of justice and upholding the individual’s rights. Legal Line was created, and continues to exist, as a vital part of the Access to Justice Movement.
Legal Line has continued to expand and now includes:
- Legal information covering all Canadian provinces and territories
- over 1,200 easy-to-understand answers
- Answers provided in 107 languages
- Answers organized within 40 major areas of law
- Easy to navigate website design processed 8 million enquiries (2017)
- 24 hour telephone information line helped 600,000 callers (2017), and seamlessly rerouted those in need to further help
- Free Guides and Flyers available in 24 languages (including Indigenous: Ojibwa, Cree, Iroquois), and also available in Braille for the blind or vision impaired
- Relevant Links to valuable government and professional resources, organized by area of law and by province
- Two bestselling legal books, Your Guide to Canadian Law, now in its 7th printing (700 pages), and Canadian Criminal Records and How to Start Fresh (300 pages); with a third book, Your Guide to Ontario Law, coming in late 2018
- 650 consulate offices now participate in Legal Line’s Foreign Embassy Alliance Program providing legal help for Canada’s 250,000 new immigrants each year, in addition to helping the citizens of those nations to do business with Canadians.
- Our 625 legal experts help to keep the information accurate, while our Board of Advisors — all experts in their respective areas — assist in directing the future endeavours of Legal Line.
- Over 8,000 government and community channel partners across Canada have joined us in our efforts by displaying and distributing free Legal Line materials, and by promoting Legalline.ca on their websites.
“All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honour, mercy, hope“
“There is no justice without Access to Justice“
(Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin)
“The strongest healing powers in our world are LOVE and JUSTICE“