We provide easy-to-understand legal answers written in plain language. Legal Line is a Federal not-for-profit organization providing access to Canadian laws since 1993. Educating the public about the law is a necessary step in advancing Access to Justice.
Our 2,100 answers give people the power and confidence they need to make informed decisions that affect everyday life. Organized under 47 areas of law, our answers allow people to easily zero-in on the specific answers they need. Those who need further help are referred to experts —lawyers, paralegals, government offices, and other professionals.
- Answers provided in 107 languages
- Our answers are organized within 47 major areas of law
- Information covers Federal, Provincial and Territorial laws
- 36,000 questions answered every day online
- 600,000 callers helped by our 24 hour telephone information line and ‘Live’ help
- 3 Million people had 10.3 million questions answered in 2020
- Our 8,000 partners (representing over 200,000 offices) link to Legalline.ca and distribute our flyers
- 3 million free Flyers and 1 million Guides distributed this year, and available in 25 languages, and in Braille
- Thousands of relevant Links to valuable government and professional resources, organized by Area of Law and by Province
- 340 consulate offices now participate in Legal Line’s Foreign Embassy Alliance Program (FEAP) providing legal help for Canada’s 250,000 new immigrants each year, in addition to 270 offices abroad helping the citizens of those nations to do business with Canadians
- Our 725 legal experts help to keep the information accurate, while our Board of Advisors — all experts in their respective areas — assist in directing the future endeavours of Legal Line
- Our 700 page reference book, Your Guide to Canadian Law, now in its 7th printing, available for free to our 8,000 Partners
- Our new Documents Library will have an additional 150 free downloadable template agreements and contracts added by Summer/2021
Since 2018, Legal Line has been a proud participant of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals action campaign. We have created specific objectives and systems to meet the Canadian public’s need for Access to Justice today and in the future.
Our social and economic sustainability objectives are:
- Maintain our services and materials as a Free Public Service;
- Expand and enhance the legal services we currently provide;
- Provide our Users with access to professional services on their exact issue;
- Enable the providers of relevant professional services to connect with and help our Users; and
- Continue to expand our partnership with the legal industry, government, corporations, agencies, professionals and community offices across Canada.
As of 2019, advertising & sponsorship became options on Legal Line. This outsourced-funding model allows us to better serve our Users in need of referrals, and achieve our sustainable development goals without diverting government funds from other vital services, while still maintaining our services and providing them free to the public.
I am excited to announce that having achieved our objectives, Legal Line is now poised for ‘Recognition of excellence in Public Service‘ by the United Nations Public Service Awards Committee.
Canadian Award Winning Author, and
Recipient of 7 Top Legal Awards in Canada
Dr. Antree Demakos, BA, LL.B, JD, Notary, Author
Chief Information Officer, Legal Line
“The strongest healing powers in our world are LOVE and JUSTICE“
(Dr. Antree C. Demakos)
“There is no justice without Access to Justice“
(Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin)
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere“
(Martin Luther King Jr.)
“All great things are simple. Many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honour, mercy, hope“