Pardon Partners – CR TOP BannerPardon Partners – CR TOP Banner

How can people prove their crime is not a 'Crime Involving Moral Turpitude' (CIMT)?

Region: Ontario Answer # 2203

The only way to definitely prove to a Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer that a particular crime is not a CIMT is to have an official letter from USA Immigration stating this fact. And, as ridiculous as it seems, the only way to receive such a letter is to make a formal application for a USA Entry Waiver.

When applying for a Waiver to legally enter the USA, there are two possible successful outcomes.

  1. If the Admissibility Review Office determines that the crime was not a CIMT, the individual will receive an official letter stating this fact. Essentially, this type of letter serves as a permanent Waiver and should be treated like gold. It is prudent to save a copy of this precious letter on your computer, and make photocopies and have them notarized in case the original is lost or damaged.
  2. If the crimes are determined to involve moral turpitude, and if the application is successful, the individual will receive a Waiver.

Either way, whenever the individual wants to enter the USA, he or she will need to carry the Waiver, or the letter stating that the crime was not a CIMT. Only presenting one of these official documents will prove to the CBP officer that the person is no longer inadmissible due to a criminal record.

Get help

To erase your Canadian criminal record, or to obtain a USA Entry Waiver, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

If you have been charged with a criminal offence, refer to our criminal law section.

Pardon Partners – CR ON WPardon Partners – CR ON W


You now have 4 options:

Request permission for your organization to copy information from this website.

Page loaded. Thank you