i am here
stdClass Object
    [term_id] => 90
    [name] => Family Law
    [slug] => family-law
    [term_group] => 0
    [term_order] => 15
    [term_taxonomy_id] => 90
    [taxonomy] => topics
    [description] => 
    [parent] => 0
    [count] => 0
    [filter] => raw
{"ontario":"74675, 74687","alberta":"75978, 74687","british-columbia":"75978, 74687","manitoba":"75978, 74687","new-brunswick":"75978, 74687","nl":"75978, 74687","nwt":"75978, 74687","nova-scotia":"75978, 74687","nunavut":"75978, 74687","pei":"75978, 74687","quebec":"75978, 74687","saskatchewan":"75978, 74687","yukon":"75978, 74687"}

Empire Family Top ONEmpire Family Top ON

Pardon Partners – Family TOP Banner ALLPardon Partners – Family TOP Banner ALL

Calculating family property and equalization payments

Region: Ontario Answer # 110

Equalization payments

The money that the spouse with the higher total has to pay the spouse with the lower total is called an “equalization payment.” The purpose of an equalization payment is to put both spouses in an equal position. The result is that both spouses end up owning the same total value of property.

There can be many issues about the value and ownership of a spouse’s assets. There may even be issues about the amount of the equalization payment. In some circumstances, such as a marriage of less than five years duration, the court can order a lesser payment to prevent an unconscionable result.

The following six steps are intended to give you a basic understanding of how property is dealt with under the Family Law Act. The process is fairly complicated and requires legal advice.

1. List and value your property since the separation date

The first step in determining property rights under the Family Law Act is for each spouse to make a list of their assets. This may include personal property, real estate, bank accounts, shares in corporations and pensions including Registered Retirement Savings Plans. Property belonging to a spouse must also be valued as of the date of separation which ordinarily is the date that the spouses cease living together.

The value of most assets can be easily determined by reference to current fair market value. However, there are some assets where the determination of value can be quite complex, such as pensions or shares in companies that are not traded publically. You may very well require the assistance of an accountant as well as a lawyer. If you and your spouse own property together, you count half of the value of the property as being yours.

Not all property is taken into consideration. For example, money or assets received after marriage as an inheritance or a gift from a person other than your spouse is exempt under certain circumstances. Monies received under life insurance policies or as compensation for personal injuries need not be included. You should consult a lawyer for details in any particular case as there are limitations on the exemptions. For example, money from these sources may lose the exemption if it has been used to purchase a matrimonial home or to pay down a mortgage on a matrimonial home.

2. Subtract your total debt as of the separation date

The next step is to add up all of your debts on the date of separation. If you and your spouse have debts together, count half of the debts as being yours. You then subtract your total debt from the total value of things you owned on the date of separation. This will give you a total value of your property since the day you and your spouse separated.

3. Calculate the value of your property less debts since the date you were married

Next, you make a list of everything you owned, and all of your debts, on the day you and your spouse married. Add up the value of everything you owned at the date of the marriage. Remember that “value” means value since the date of the marriage and not current value. Subtract the value of all your debts on the day you were married. This will give you a total marriage date value of your property.

4. Subtract #3 from #2

You are now in a position to determine your “net family property”. In summary, you total the value of your property at the date of separation. You then calculate the value of your property less debts existing at the date you married and then deduct any debts on the day you and your spouse separated. The resulting calculation is your net family property (NFP). It cannot be less than zero. In other words it cannot be a negative number.

5. Subtract compensation for personal injury, inheritances and proceeds of life insurance

As noted in determining your net family property, you are entitled to deduct the value of any inheritances or gifts from people other than your spouse that you personally received while you and your spouse were married, any money you may have received from court as compensation for personal injury and any proceeds from a life insurance policy. There are a few other things that you may be able to subtract from your total but there are exceptions, so you should consult a lawyer for more information. For example, money from these sources may lose the exemption if it has been used to purchase a matrimonial home or to pay down a mortgage on a matrimonial home.

6. Deduct the lower net family property from the higher, and divide by two

You and your spouse will each have your own total net family property amount. The court will compare these two totals and require the spouse who has the higher total to pay the spouse with the lower total half of the difference between them. For example, if a wife has a net family property of $20,000 and the husband has a net family property of $30,000, the difference between these two totals is $10,000. The Family Law Act says that the person who has the higher total has to pay the person with the lower total half of the difference between them. Half of $10,000 is $5,000, so the husband would have to pay the wife $5,000. For more information, visit the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General website.

When you are separating, a criminal record will affect child custody and adoption. To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

Protect yourself and your children

When going through a separation, divorce or child custody it is important to make sure you are protecting your and your children’s financial future. Consider including a life insurance policy and investment plan as part of your separation agreement. This protection can help with your living expenses, mortgage payments, and your children’s education. For help, contact an Empire Life advisor today.”

Getting advice and the legal help you need

If you are about to separate, have recently separated, or are planning to get a divorce, a lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and ensure that your interests are protected. Each spouse should acquire independent legal advice. Even if you and your spouse agree on property, child custody and support, you should consult a lawyer to make sure you both know your legal rights and obligations. If you and your spouse do not agree on how to divide property, how much support needs to be paid, or who will have custody of your children, a lawyer will be able to provide you with specific legal advice for your situation. Agreements reached without independent legal advice may not be legally binding. It is advisable to get the legal help that’s right for you. If you are considering representing yourself in a family law matter, you may wish to get help from The Family Law Coach. Their experienced family law lawyers can provide information, legal assistance, advice and practical tips to help you prepare your case and improve your outcome. They provide specific services for fixed prices, and you only pay for the services you want. If you are considering hiring a lawyer to represent you, for legal advice and assistance regarding separation, divorce and other family law matters, contact a family law lawyer.

Retirement ready?

You want to balance your mortgage, kids’ education, and retirement savings. Are you saving enough to meet your goals and be ready for retirement? An advisor has the expertise to get you on track to achieve your long-term goals, and can help you set realistic planning targets and stick to your plan. Contact an Empire Life advisor today for more information.

Empire Family Bottom ONEmpire Family Bottom ON

The Family Law Coach ALL Other Family TopicsThe Family Law Coach ALL Other Family Topics



You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you