Pardon Partners – CR TOP BannerPardon Partners – CR TOP Banner

Can a Canadian permanent resident apply for a Waiver?

Region: Ontario Answer # 2224

A Canadian Permanent Resident with a criminal record will be required to obtain both a visa and a USA Entry Waiver to legally enter the USA. These applications are submitted online. Once a new application is started, an identification number will be assigned to the file. The visa application is quite extensive and includes:

  • Personal information, such as name, date and place of birth, and current address
  • Passport information
  • Date of trip to the USA and the place where the applicant will be staying
  • Purpose of travelling to the USA
  • Travel companions (if any)
  • Employment information

The application also includes questions about whether the applicant has a criminal record and details about the crimes committed. Once the visa application is completed and submitted online (including a photo that must be uploaded), the applicant must then contact the American consulate to set up an appointment for an interview with a consular officer. At the interview, the applicant will have to submit the Waiver application and supporting documents (such as court records, and RCMP report). The wait time for an interview and for the visa application to be processed varies, depending on the individual consulate office.

Get help

To erase your Canadian criminal record, or to obtain a USA Entry Waiver, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

If you have been charged with a criminal offence, refer to our criminal law section.

Pardon Partners – CR ON WPardon Partners – CR ON W


You now have 4 options:

Request permission for your organization to copy information from this website.

Page loaded. Thank you