Select a language

Can a Canadian permanent resident apply for a Waiver?

Region: Ontario Answer Number: 1144

A Canadian Permanent Resident with a criminal record will be required to obtain both a visa and a USA Entry Waiver to legally enter the USA. These applications are submitted online. Once a new application is started, an identification number will be assigned to the file. The visa application is quite extensive and includes:

  • Personal information, such as name, date and place of birth, and current address
  • Passport information
  • Date of trip to the USA and the place where the applicant will be staying
  • Purpose of travelling to the USA
  • Travel companions (if any)
  • Employment information

The application also includes questions about whether the applicant has a criminal record and details about the crimes committed. Once the visa application is completed and submitted online (including a photo that must be uploaded), the applicant must then contact the American consulate to set up an appointment for an interview with a consular officer. At the interview, the applicant will have to submit the Waiver application and supporting documents (such as court records, and RCMP report). The wait time for an interview and for the visa application to be processed varies, depending on the individual consulate office.

To erase your Canadian criminal record, or to obtain a USA Entry Waiver, call toll-free 1- 866-362-7143 or learn more at All Cleared. It’s easier than you think.

All Cleared USA Travel Waiver Topics Only ONAll Cleared USA Travel Waiver Topics Only ON

Was your question answered?


You now have 4 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you