Can an employer find pardoned or suspended records?

Region: Ontario Answer # 2117

An employer cannot find pardoned or suspended records. After a pardon is granted, the criminal record is sealed. When a local police records check is done after a pardon is granted, the results will say that no criminal record was found. Similarly, an RCMP search (supported by fingerprints) would also state that there is no criminal record. Refer to Pardons and Record Suspensions (RS) for convictions.

The only exception is in the case of checks done for the purpose of working with vulnerable people (e.g. children, the elderly, people with disabilities). In those circumstances, the police will disclose whether the individual is a pardoned sex offender.

If you wish to apply for a job or become licensed in a particular industry, it is best to have your criminal record removed before you submit your application.

To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-877-219-1644 or learn more at Federal Pardon Waiver Services. It’s easier than you think.

If you have been charged with a criminal offence, refer to our criminal law section.


Federal Pardon Waiver – CR ON PFederal Pardon Waiver – CR ON P


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Website by Turnbull & Co.


Page loaded. Thank you