Area of Law: Cannabis Law
Answer # 2443
Can cannabis beverages be sold?Region: Ontario Answer # 2443
Cannabis beverages refer to drinks that are infused with THC and CBD cannabis extracts. They fall under the “edibles” category of cannabis products. Common cannabis beverages are coffee, tea, pop and CBD-infused water. The sale and purchase of cannabis beverages is legal in Canada. They must be purchased from a provincial government online or retail site, or through a licensed private retailer.
Licensed producers must first submit their edible cannabis products to Health Canada before they can be available for legal sale to the public. Once submitted, the products are subject to a 60-90 day approval and procurement process.
Health Canada has released regulations regarding the content, packaging, labelling and promotion of cannabis beverages.
The content in a cannabis beverage must contain:
- a limit of 10 milligrams of THC per package
- no added vitamins or minerals
- no nicotine or added alcohol
- limits on caffeine
The packaging of a cannabis beverage must:
- be child-resistant and plain
The label on a cannabis beverage must display:
- a list of ingredients and allergens, and a Nutrition Facts table
- the standardized cannabis symbol for products containing THC
- a health warning message
- the THC/CBD content
- the equivalency to dried cannabis to determine public possession limit
As well, cannabis beverage products cannot:
- make any claims respecting health benefits
- be appealing to youth
- contain elements that would associate the product with alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or vaping products
- make dietary or cosmetic claims
Although cannabis edibles, including beverages, may be legal federally, provincial and territorial governments regulate the rules regarding the sale and pubic consumption of cannabis products. For more information, view other topics in Cannabis Law or view our Links and Resources.
For information on where cannabis edibles, including beverages, may be legally purchased on Ontario, view topic 2402 Private retailers and government sales.
For legal advice and assistance with a cannabis related matter, contact our preferred cannabis law expert, Harrison Jordan Law .
You now haveoptions: