Pardon Partners – Immigration TOP Banner ALLPardon Partners – Immigration TOP Banner ALL

Canadian Experience Class applications

Region: Ontario Answer # 668


Requirements to qualify under the Canadian Experience Class

Foreign nationals who have lived in Canada for some time, including temporary foreign workers or foreign students, may qualify to become a permanent resident under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). To qualify under the CEC, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You plan to live outside the province of Quebec.
  2. You have at least 12 months of full-time skilled work experience in Canada (or an equal amount in part-time), in the three years before you apply. Full-time work means a minimum of 30 paid hours of work per week. Skilled work includes managerial, professional, technical and skilled trade jobs. The Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) provides a list of jobs and their corresponding NOC group. To determine if your job qualifies as skilled work, refer to Employment and Social Development Canada.
  3. You have gained your experience in Canada with the proper immigration authorization.
  4. You meet the required language levels in English and/or French needed for your job. To prove your language skills, you must take a language test that is approved by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and include the results with your application. The test evaluates your abilities in four categories: speaking, reading, writing, and listening. You must meet the minimum level in each category. For the CEC application, the test results are only valid for two years. However, it is a good idea to keep a copy of your language test results not only for your personal records, but also because they can be included in an application for citizenship, for which purpose the test results do not expire.


How to apply

Applications under the Canadian Experience Class can only be processed through the Express Entry online management system.

Once you meet the qualifications to be eligible for permanent residence status under the CEC, you must upload your profile under the Express Entry online system.

If you are married or live with a common-law partner in Canada, one of you will apply as the principal applicant. If both you and your spouse meet the eligibility requirements, either of you can be the principal applicant. A common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year and includes both opposite-sex and same-sex couples.

In addition to the language tests, in order to become a permanent resident you must have a medical exam to confirm you are not a danger to Canada’s public health or safety, or you will not cause too much demand on Canada’s health services. You may also be required to provide a police certificate to determine if you have a criminal record. IRCC will send the appropriate instructions for these medical and security checks through your online portal.


Additional fees

You will be responsible to pay for your medical exam, your language test, and, if required, the police certificate.  If your application is approved, you will also have to pay a Right of Permanent Residence fee before you will be issued your permanent resident visa. Visit IRCC for a complete list of application fees.

If you applied while living in Canada, once your application has been approved and permanent residence status has been granted, your permanent resident card will be mailed to you.

If you applied from outside Canada, when you arrive at the Canadian border you will be questioned by a Canada Border Services Agency Officer to determine whether you are eligible to immigrate to Canada and that you are carrying the proper travel documents, such as a passport. If the Officer determines you are eligible to immigrate, you will be granted permanent residence status and your permanent resident card will be mailed to you.

More information regarding immigrating to Canada can be found from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. To find foreign consulates and embassies in your province, click here.

Get help

A criminal record will delay, and can even prevent you from getting your immigration status. To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

To determine whether you are able to immigrate under the Canadian Experience Class program, and to ensure that your application is properly prepared, contact our preferred Immigration experts, Bright Immigration Consultants .

Bright Immigration ALL April 1, 2018Bright Immigration ALL April 1, 2018

Pardon Partners – Immigration ONPardon Partners – Immigration ON


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you