Pardon Partners – Small Claims TOP Banner ONPardon Partners – Small Claims TOP Banner ON

George Brown Professional Corporation Small Claims – bottom & topGeorge Brown Professional Corporation Small Claims – bottom & top

Changing a garnishment order

Region: Ontario Answer # 573

If you were sued and lost, or if you did not attend the trial, the judge probably ordered you to pay the plaintiff money. This person now becomes a creditor, and you are the debtor. Through garnishment, the creditor is allowed to collect up to 20% of your wages until the debt is paid off. This means that the creditor collects payments directly from your employer, who in turn will deduct these payments from your wages. However, your employer is not allowed to fire or suspend you because of the garnishment.


Negotiating a lump-sum payment

Depending on how much you earn and how much you owe, it may take a long time for the debt to be paid off by garnishing your wages. In this case, the creditor may agree to accept a lump-sum payment of a lower amount in exchange for agreeing to terminate the garnishment. If the creditor agrees to this new arrangement, then you should ask for it to be put in writing for both of you to sign. This way, after making the lump-sum payment, you are protected from the creditor claiming that the debt is still owing.

Also, you should ask the creditor to give your employer a Notice of Termination of Garnishment, which is a form that tells the employer to stop deducting the payment from your paycheques. Without this notice, the employer is not legally allowed to stop garnishing your wages.


Ask for a garnishment hearing

If you wish to change the payment amount or frequency, then you will need to complete and file a Notice of Garnishment Hearing form. After which, you will need to appear at the garnishment hearing and present your case. If the debt has been paid, the creditor is responsible for terminating the garnishment. The creditor should complete a Notice of Termination of Garnishment form, serve it on the debtor and garnishee and file it with the court.

If your wages are being garnished mistakenly, you can contact the court office.

Get help

If you are having financial difficulties and want to clear your debt and repair your credit, you can get help. For easy-to-understand debt solutions on your terms, contact our preferred experts 4Pillars and rebuild your financial future. With 60 locations across Canada, they will help you design a debt repayment plan and guide you with compassionate advice. No judgment. For help, visit 4Pillars or call toll-free 1-844-888-0442 .

If you are having legal difficulties because of a past criminal record and wish to erase your record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

For legal advice and assistance with a garnishment, or any Small Claims Court matter, contact our preferred experts, George Brown Professional Corporation or call 1-800-381 8408.


George Brown Professional Corporation Small Claims – bottom & topGeorge Brown Professional Corporation Small Claims – bottom & top

4Pillars Small Claims Ontario All Topics May 20184Pillars Small Claims Ontario All Topics May 2018

Pardon Partners – Small Claims ONPardon Partners – Small Claims ON


You now have 3 options:

Request permission for your organization to copy information from this website.

Page loaded. Thank you