Select a language

Changing your mind about laying charges

Region: Ontario Answer Number: 787

If the police have laid charges against an offender, they cannot be withdrawn unless the police believe they do not have enough evidence to proceed or a Crown prosecutor determines the charge should not go ahead. You cannot change your mind about charging an offender and expect to have the charges withdrawn.

However, if you personally visited with a justice of the peace and had charges laid against an offender yourself, you can generally drop the charges at any time before the Crown prosecutor takes over the prosecution of the charge.

For more information about criminal law and the justice system in Canada, visit the Government of Canada, Department of Justice, or the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General.

To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-866-898-7767 or learn more at Pardons Pros. It’s easier than you think.

If you have been charged with a criminal offence, contact our preferred criminal law experts, Rotenberg Shidlowski Jesin Criminal Lawyers .


RSJ Law Criminal ON June 2018RSJ Law Criminal ON June 2018

Pardon Pros Criminal Ontario Sept 2017 – 787Pardon Pros Criminal Ontario Sept 2017 – 787

Was your question answered?


You now have 5 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you