Deposit Rocket TOP Family ALL Prov.Deposit Rocket TOP Family ALL Prov.

Common-law rights upon break-up

Region: Ontario Answer # 0140

Unless you have signed a cohabitation agreement, common-law spouses generally have fewer legal rights than married spouses upon break-up of a relationship. Under the Ontario Family Law Act, a couple is considered to be living in a common-law relationship:

  • if they have been living together intimately for at least three years, or
  • if they have been living together for less time but they have a child together.

Property rights common-law spouses do not have

There are two important property rights which married spouses have if they separate which common-law spouses do not have:

  1. Common-law spouses do not each have an equal right to live in the family home, unless they are both owners.
  2. Common-law spouses do not have an automatic right to equalize their net family property acquired during their relationship.

In most cases, both the family home and other property go to the person who is the owner. Each person usually keeps everything they personally own and nothing more.

There are two equitable remedies, unjust enrichment and constructive trust, that a common-law spouse may use to bring a claim for a share in property owned by the other common-law partner.


Rights common-law spouses do have

Although there are some rights that married spouses have that common-law spouses do not have, common-law spouses do have some important rights under the law. These include


Separation agreements

When common-law spouses separate, they can deal with all the issues of their separation by entering into a formal separation agreement. This agreement can set out how property will be divided, who the children will live with and how much child support and spousal support will be paid. Although it is possible to write your own separation agreement, you should consult a lawyer to make sure that both you and your common-law spouse understand your legal rights. A lawyer can also make sure that your separation agreement is clear, complete and legally binding.

A criminal record will affect child custody and adoption. To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

Getting the advice and legal help you need

If you are about to separate or have recently separated from your common-law partner, a lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and ensure that your interests are protected. It is advisable to get the legal help that’s right for you. If you are considering representing yourself in a family law matter, you may wish to get help from The Family Law Coach. Their experienced family law lawyers can provide information, legal assistance, advice and practical tips to help you prepare your case and improve your outcome. They provide specific services for fixed prices, and you only pay for the services you want. If you are considering hiring a lawyer to represent you, for legal advice and assistance regarding common-law relationships and other family law matters, contact a family law lawyer.

The Family Law Coach ALL Other Family TopicsThe Family Law Coach ALL Other Family Topics


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you