Area of Law: Coronavirus COVID-19
Answer # 7301
Condominium board and tenant meetingsRegion: Ontario Answer # 7301
Managing Coronavirus in a multi-dwelling building involves legal implications and considerations under Provincial and Federal laws.
As with other health and safety considerations, condominium corporations have the responsibility to provide a safe environment. During this time of potential risk due to Coronavirus COVID-19, condominium boards should consider implementing health and safety measures, with respect to their meetings, as well as for the overall functioning of the building and its inhabitants. Public health protocols can be found at Health Canada and from Provincial Health Ministries.
Some practical measures include:
- Avoid any unnecessary in-person meetings, use online services instead;
- Delay any unnecessary repairs and maintenance that may involve close physical contact vs outside repairs;
- If an in-person meeting is necessary, ensure the meeting space is clean, hygienic, and large enough so people can be physically distanced;
- Provide disinfectant for attendees;
- Ensure that no one that is going to attend the meeting has shown signs of illness, or has been close to someone who is ill;
- Send attendees home if they show any COVID-19 symptoms,
- If possible, open windows to allow the flow of fresh air;
- Advise attendees that the use of over-the-counter medications may mask the symptoms of COVID-19; and
- Advise attendees to be tested if they suspect they have the virus.
Failure to take reasonable steps to prevent the spread of Coronavirus may lead to legal liability.
The situation is changing very quickly and many governments have restricted the operation of non-essential businesses for a certain time period.
For the latest information, visit our related links and resources.
Get help from a life insurance advisor
Understanding life insurance and what is best for you can be overwhelming. It is important to get professional advice for your unique situation, and it is more affordable than you think. Life insurance can protect your family, your home and your business. For a free consultation and quote, contact an Empire Life Insurance advisor.
You now haveoptions: