Pardon Partners – Immigration TOP Banner ALLPardon Partners – Immigration TOP Banner ALL


Region: Ontario Answer # 681

The Canadian government has the power to deport people who are not lawfully allowed to stay in Canada. Anyone who is removed from Canada on a deportation order cannot return to Canada without the written consent of the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. The possibility of deportation can be scary and overwhelming. To get help, ask a lawyer now.

Different deportation criteria apply to different categories of people. The main classifications are:

  • people who have been denied refugee status,
  • permanent residents, and
  • foreign nationals.

To deport anyone, the Immigration authorities must have your travel documents and some proof that you are from the country that they are deporting you back to. There are some people who cannot be removed because their countries will not provide travel documents. It is important to co-operate with the authorities at this time. As frightening as the prospect of being sent home may be, to be able to return to Canada you must comply with the order to report for removal.

Foreign nationals

In some circumstances, foreign nationals visiting Canada may be deported after their authorized period of stay has expired. They may also be required to leave if they do not comply with the terms and conditions of their visit, or if they extend their stay without permission. Foreign nationals who are convicted of a criminal offence may also be deported.


People who have been denied refugee status

People who have been denied refugee status will be asked to leave Canada when their refugee claim is denied. Claimants may also be required to leave if they withdraw or abandon their claim. In some cases, an immigration lawyer can help you make an appeal or can bring a motion in the Federal Court, if you are asked to leave. You will be returned to the last country you were in before arriving in Canada. Many refugees came through the United States, so that would mean that they would be returned to the United States.

Permanent residents

Permanent residents may be deported if they committed a serious offence before they arrived in Canada, or if the government believes that they are a security risk. Permanent residents can also be deported if they lie on their immigration application, are convicted of a serious offence in Canada, or lose their status as permanent residents. If you have been charged with an offence in Canada or abroad you should contact an immigration lawyer to discuss how the charge will affect your status as a permanent resident. It is important for every permanent resident to get citizenship as soon as possible. The Immigration authorities cannot deport a Canadian citizen, unless their citizenship is revoked, which can occur in limited circumstances, such as: misrepresentation, terrorism, treason, and foreign spying.


Canadian citizens

Except in unusual circumstances, Canadian citizens cannot be deported. In some circumstances, citizens may be returned to a foreign country if they are accused or convicted of a specific crime in that country. This is usually referred to as ‘extradition.’

Get help

A criminal record will delay, and can even prevent you from getting your immigration status. To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

For legal advice and representation, contact our preferred Immigration experts, Bright Immigration Consultants .

Immigration law in Canada is complex and the possibility of deportation can be difficult and overwhelming. If you have been asked to leave Canada, you should get legal advice and assistance right away. The most important thing to remember is to give your lawyer adequate time to do any possible work on your behalf. To get help, ask a lawyer now.

Bright Immigration ALL April 1, 2018Bright Immigration ALL April 1, 2018

Pardon Partners – Immigration ONPardon Partners – Immigration ON


You now have 3 options:

Request permission for your organization to copy information from this website.

Page loaded. Thank you