Pardon Partners – USA Travel TOP Banner ALL PROVINCESPardon Partners – USA Travel TOP Banner ALL PROVINCES

F-1 Student Visa

Region: Ontario Answer # 1037

F-1 visas are for anyone seeking to come to the USA to study at a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, or language learning programs.

The first step is for a potential student to apply at the school of their choice and be accepted into a program. All programs must be full-time, and with the exception of private elementary school, be a degree-granting program. Once accepted into a school, the school will issue an I-20, which serves as proof that the student was accepted into a specific school for a set duration to complete studies in a designated area. While Canadians do not need to visit a US Consulate for a visa stamp in their passport, they are still required to pay all SEVIS fees online, with the school will provide instructions and applicable school codes to register.

An F-1 is valid for the length of a program. For example, if a student is attending a four-year undergraduate program, the I-20 would be issued to start at the beginning of the program and have an end date when graduation is expected to happen. The I-20 is specific to the school and the student’s chosen program. Any changes to the school or program require a new I-20. If the student opts for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) after a full-time year, that would be grounds for a new I-20. Same if the student opts for Occupational Practical Training (OPT) after graduation. Any travel requires the school’s authorization prior to travel. The F-1 can be extended based on the school’s policy and the student’s academic status and needs.

A criminal record will prevent you from entering the USA or obtaining your USA immigration status. To erase your Canadian criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 , or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.


Pardon Partners – USA Travel ON Pardon 1030-1100Pardon Partners – USA Travel ON Pardon 1030-1100


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you