Home Deposit  TOP Real Estate ALL Prov.Home Deposit  TOP Real Estate ALL Prov.

How to become a real estate agent

Region: Ontario Answer # 0455

To become a real estate agent (also known as a real estate salesperson) in Ontario, you must complete mandatory pre-registration education courses and examinations. The required program is known as the “Real Estate Salesperson Program Learning Path” and is offered by Humber College.

To work as a real estate agent, you must be registered with the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO).

What is the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO)?

The Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO) is the authority that regulates the conduct of real estate salespeople, brokers and brokerages in Ontario under the Real Estate and Business Brokers Act, 2002 (REBBA). The Act includes a Code of Ethics that brokerages, salespeople and brokers are required to follow. For more information on RECO, visit reco.on.ca

Humber College Real Estate Salesperson Program

The Humber College Real Estate Salesperson Program consists of 3 parts:

Step 1: Pre-Registration

• consists of 5 courses, 4 exams and 2 simulation sessions. You have a maximum of 24 months to complete pre-registration.

Step 2: Register with RECO

• before registering with RECO, you must be an employee of a brokerage (a firm who supervises real estate agents).
• you must register with RECO within one year after completing pre-registration and completing your final exam.
• the registration process includes completing an online application, paying a fee, and obtaining an original Canadian Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check (CCRJMC) from your local police service.

You can start working as a licensed real estate agent – known as trading in real estate – once you are registered with RECO.

Step 3: Post-Registration:

• this part consists of a mandatory compliance course and completion of two of the remaining five electives during the first two years – known as the articling period – after becoming licensed with RECO.
• Continuing Education courses offered by RECO must be completed every two years to renew your registration.

For more information on the Humber College Program, including admission requirements and fees, visit humber.ca.

What is a real estate broker?

A real estate broker is a manager of a brokerage firm who supervises real estate agents. Brokers must work as a licensed agent for at least two years and have completed additional courses and exams to receive their broker’s licenses by RECO.

Humber College also offers the Real Estate Broker Program for active real estate salespersons who are currently registered with RECO. The program consists of:

1. Qualifying exam
2. Courses and final exam
3. Registration with RECO

More info

Visit other Answers in Real Estate Law or view our Links for more information on the role of real estate agents when buying and selling property in Ontario.

Need help with a home Deposit?

Home Deposits Now Guarantee provides a stress-free alternative to obtaining a deposit. You do not need to borrow from friends and family, liquidate investments and pay breakage and interest fees, or obtain certified cheques, a line of credit, or bridge financing. Home Deposits Now issues a Guarantee that your Realtor submits along with your offer, instead of a cash deposit or certified cheque. For a quote, use the Cost Calculator.

The online application takes only minutes to complete. Visit Home Deposits Now to apply for a Deposit Guarantee.

Home Deposit Real Estate bottom banner ALL Prov.Home Deposit Real Estate bottom banner ALL Prov.


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you