Area of Law: Law Schools, Lawyers, Law Clerks and Paralegals
Answer # 891
Humber College Paralegal ProgramRegion: Ontario Answer # 891
To apply for a paralegal licence with the Law Society of Ontario (LSO), all applicants must have graduated from a Law Society accredited Paralegal Education Program, which must be from a college approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
The Business School at Humber College in Toronto offers a two-year (4 semester) Paralegal Education Diploma Program that meets these requirements and gives students the skills and knowledge required to function as a licensed paralegal.
What is the Paralegal Education Program?
Students in the Paralegal Education Program at Humber College:
- study the theoretical, procedural and advocacy aspects of law that may be handled by a licensed paralegal;
- learn specialized practical skills within the areas of advocacy, legal research, specific courts and administrative tribunals; and
- develop strong oral advocacy skills by participating in class and in role plays, as well as in presentations and mock trials before their peers and large audiences.
Courses of studies include:
- business, criminal summary convictions, landlord and tenant, employment law, and alternative dispute resolution; and
- ethics and the rules of professional conduct, accounting and entrepreneurship
Applicants must meet three requirements to be eligible for the Program:
1. Academic – Students must possess:
- an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent including these required courses:
- Grade 12 English (ENG4C or ENG4U or equivalent)
- Three Grade 11 or Grade 12 C, M or U courses in addition to those listed above; OR
- Mature student status; OR
- College or university transfer status
2. English language proficiency
3. International Credit Evaluation: Canadian citizens or permanent residents with international education are required to provide a World Education Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) evaluation.
How to apply
Applications to the Humber Paralegal Education Program must be made to ontariocolleges.ca. Submissions should be made by February 1st to receive equal consideration. Applications made after this date will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis depending on availability in the Program.
The fee for the full 4 semester, 2-year Program is approximately $7,280 for domestic students, and $30,000 for international students. Students may be eligible for scholarships and awards.
In the last semester of the program students complete a 133-hour work placement as part of the Law Society of Ontario paralegal licensing requirements. A field placement advisor helps students secure a suitable placement within the paralegal scope of practice that addresses their needs and area of practice they are interested in.
Academic pathways for graduates of the Paralegal Education Program
Students who graduate from the Program and meet the required grade point averages may be eligible to apply to other more advanced paralegal programs, such as the Paralegal Studies, Bachelor of Applied Arts (degree); and the Law Clerk Diploma Program. Humber College also has degree and diploma partnerships with other academic institutions, including an LLB at the University of Leicester and a Law LLB the University of Gloucestershire, both in the United Kingdom; and various diploma opportunities with the University of Guelph in Ontario.
For more information on the Humber College School of Business, Paralegal Education Program, visit business.humber.ca.
Getting Investment Help
Achieving financial security for your retirement can seem overwhelming. Getting expert advice will put you on the right path for your financial goals. Empire Life can help you with your investment needs, from saving for a vacation to saving for retirement. Contact an Empire Life advisor for a personalized investment solution to meet your unique financial goals.
You now haveoptions: