Area of Law: Business Law
Answer # 0256
Pre-paid legal services plansRegion: Ontario Answer # 0256
In Canada, there are two main types of legal plans that can be purchased by either individuals or businesses:
- Pre-paid legal services plans, which provide a pre-determined list of legal services, and
- Legal Expense Insurance (LEI), which covers your lawyer’s fees in times of dispute. Also, most LEI policies also include unlimited legal advice by telephone.
Pre-paid legal services plans
Pre-paid legal services plans are not an insurance product. Like health care plans, legal services plans provide you with specified legal assistance and advice for a set monthly fee. Through the services of a provider law firm, plan members can access help with the most common legal issues.
Legal services plans are most often created:
- for individuals and families,
- as part of employee benefit plans,
- for small businesses, and
- for help in cases of identity theft.
There are different plans available depending on the needs of the individual or business. Costs for personal plans are in the range of $25 per month. Personal plans generally include the following types of services:
- advice on unlimited legal issues,
- letters and telephone calls to third parties,
- legal document review,
- standard Will preparation,
- residential lease agreement review, and
- Small Claims Court advice.
Small business legal services plans are in the range of $50-$100 (depending on the number of employees), and focus on the common legal requirements of most small businesses, such as:
- general legal consultation,
- designated consultation,
- contract and document review,
- debt collection assistance, and
- legal correspondence.
For legal advice in deciding which form of business is right for you, assistance with setting up your business, and for all other business matters, contact a lawyer.
For legal advice and assistance with all of your business matters, contact our preferred lawyers, Singer Business Law .
For corporate supplies and help with business and corporate name searches, registrations and filings, contact our preferred service provider, Carswell Legal Solutions .
For more information about legal expense insurance, or to purchase a policy, contact Ai Legal Expense Insurance .
You now haveoptions: