Area of Law: Business Law
Answer # 0256
Pre-paid legal services plansRegion: Ontario Answer # 0256
In Canada, there are two main types of legal plans that can be purchased by either individuals or businesses:
- Pre-paid legal services plans, which provide a pre-determined list of legal services, and
- Legal Expense Insurance (LEI), which covers your lawyer’s fees in times of dispute. Also, most LEI policies also include unlimited legal advice by telephone.
Pre-paid legal services plans
Pre-paid legal services plans are not an insurance product. Like health care plans, legal services plans provide you with specified legal assistance and advice for a set monthly fee. Through the services of a provider law firm, plan members can access help with the most common legal issues.
Legal services plans are most often created:
- for individuals and families,
- as part of employee benefit plans,
- for small businesses, and
- for help in cases of identity theft.
There are different plans available depending on the needs of the individual or business. Costs for personal plans are in the range of $25 per month. Personal plans generally include the following types of services:
- advice on unlimited legal issues,
- letters and telephone calls to third parties,
- legal document review,
- standard Will preparation,
- residential lease agreement review, and
- Small Claims Court advice.
Small business legal services plans are in the range of $50-$100 (depending on the number of employees), and focus on the common legal requirements of most small businesses, such as:
- general legal consultation,
- designated consultation,
- contract and document review,
- debt collection assistance, and
- legal correspondence.
For legal advice in deciding which form of business is right for you, assistance with setting up your business, and for all other business matters, contact a lawyer.
For more information about legal expense insurance, or to purchase a policy, contact Ai Legal Expense Insurance.
Is your business protected?
Whether you’re a start-up or well-established business, life insurance can help protect your business so that you can still achieve your business goals in the event of the unexpected. It’s important to get professional advice for your unique situation, and it is more affordable than you think. For a free consultation and quote, contact an Empire Life Insurance advisor today.
You now haveoptions: