Pardon Partners – CR TOP BannerPardon Partners – CR TOP Banner

Local police destruction for not-guilty outcomes

Region: Ontario Answer # 2161

What are not-guilty outcomes?

For record removal purposes, not-guilty outcomes include:

  • acquittals,
  • withdrawn charges
  • dismissed charges,
  • charges that were stayed, and
  • peace bonds.

Although peace bonds require that the accused sign a document and pay a monetary bond, which implies that the accused has been guilty of committing, or is likely to commit a criminal offence, for record removal purposes, they are treated like not-guilty outcomes.

The waiting period to have not-guilty outcomes destroyed and/or sealed ranges from no waiting period, to one year for charges that were stayed, to the length of time that the peace bond is valid. For more information about eligibility periods, refer to topic# Eligibility periods for destructions.

Who has authority to destroy the criminal record?

The criminal record file of a not-guilty outcome is under the legal jurisdiction of the police that laid the charges. If that police service agrees, it will usually destroy the person’s fingerprints and photographs and destroy or seal the charge outcome records. Most times, the police will also request that the RCMP return its copy of the criminal record file for destruction. In the case where photographs, fingerprints, and other records held by police are permanently destroyed, they can never resurface or be accessed again. On average, a complete file destruction can take anywhere from three to eighteen months.

Whether your file will be destroyed depends on the policies of the local police service that laid the charges. The criteria used by police services for making their decision can include such things as the nature of the offence and whether there are any other charges on the individual’s record. Since local police policies across the country are constantly changing, it is difficult for the average person to know what to do. In some cases, having charges at more than one police service can further complicate the destruction or sealing of records, and if done incorrectly, can result in revealing the information to other police services instead of having it destroyed.

Although the destruction of files relating to not-guilty outcomes should be the least complicated and most successful of applications, it often is not.

The rules for destroying, purging or sealing a criminal record are constantly changing. It is a good idea, therefore, to seek the assistance of a record removal professional.

To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

If you have been charged with a criminal offence, refer to our criminal law section.


Pardon Partners – CR ON PPardon Partners – CR ON P


You now have 4 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you