Area of Law: Coronavirus COVID-19
Answer # 7204
Missing work because of COVID-19Region: Ontario Answer # 7204
Throughout Canada, provincial laws allow employees who are unable to work due to circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic, to take a job-protected leave, such as:
- The employee has been diagnosed with COVID-19 and is complying with instructions, orders or advice from medical professionals;
- the employee is in quarantine, isolation or self-isolation in accordance with an order or directive of a public health officer, under the Quarantine Act, pursuant to provincial centre for disease control guidelines, or Public Health Agency Canada;
- the employer has directed the employee not to work, due to the employer’s concern about the employee’s exposure to others;
- the employee is providing personal or family care to an eligible person, such as in the case of the closure of a school or daycare or similar facility;
- the employee must care for an eligible person who is required to self-isolate; or
- a prescribed situation exists relating to the employee.
These measures are generally retroactive to the first date that the first presumptive COVID-19 case was confirmed in the province. These new measures will remain in place as long as needed.
Who does this apply to?
Most provincial employees and employers are covered by the new job-protection laws, whether they work full-time, part-time, are students, temporary employees, or casual workers.
These new provincial laws do not apply to people who work under federal jurisdiction, including employees working for banks, airports, inter-provincial and international rail, and federal crown corporations. Also, this legislation may not apply to union workers.
For more details about COVID-19 and employment issues, and for up-to-date changes, refer to your provincial ministry of labour.
Get help from a life insurance advisor
Understanding life insurance and what is best for you can be overwhelming. It is important to get professional advice for your unique situation, and it is more affordable than you think. Life insurance can protect your family, your home and your business. For a free consultation and quote, contact an Empire Life Insurance advisor.
You now haveoptions: