Private retailers and government sales

Region: Ontario Answer # 2402

Sale of recreational cannabis

Every province and territory sells recreational cannabis through online government websites and some also allow private online sales and retail storefront sales.

Depending on the province, cannabis may also be available through government retail stores (such as liquor stores), private retailers, or a combination of both. Where private retailers are permitted by the province, they must be granted a licence or permit to sell cannabis.

ALBERTA:   Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (AGLC)


BRITISH COLUMBIA:   Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch (LCRB)

MANITOBA:   Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority (LGCA)


NEW BRUNSWICK:   The New Brunswick Liquor Corporation


NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR:    Newfoundland Labrador Liquor Corporation (NLC) 


NORTHWEST TERRITORIES:   Liquor and Cannabis Commission (NTLCC)


NOVA SCOTIA:   Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation (NSLC)

NUNAVUT:   Nunavut Liquor and Cannabis Commission (NULC)


ONTARIO:    Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)


PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND:    PEI Liquor Control Commission (PEILCC) and Prince Edward Island Cannabis Management Corporation (PEICMC),

  • Online Sales – Government only, the Prince Edward Island Cannabis Management Corporation (PEICMC), PEI Cannabis
  • Retail Stores – Government only, PEI Cannabis


QUEBEC:   Société québécoise du cannabis (SQDC), which is a subsidiary of the Société des alcools du Québec (SAQ)

  • Online Sales – Government only, SQDC
  • Retail Stores – Government only, SQDC


SASKATCHEWAN:   Liquor and Gaming Authority (SLGA)

  • Online Sales – Licensed private retailers: Cannabis retailers must operate a storefront and can also choose to sell product online.


YUKON:   Yukon Liquor Corporation


Sale of medical cannabis

Medical cannabis can be purchased legally in every province.

Retail stores are not authorized to sell cannabis for medical purposes. Medical cannabis can only be legally purchased directly from a producer licensed by Health Canada (known as an LP – Licensed Producer).

For more information about cannabis and the law, choose from our 100 topics on Cannabis Law.

For legal advice and assistance with a cannabis related matter, contact our preferred cannabis law expert, Harrison Jordan Law .

Harrison Jordan Cannabis ONHarrison Jordan Cannabis ON


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Website by Turnbull & Co.


Page loaded. Thank you