Deposit Rocket TOP Family ALL Prov.Deposit Rocket TOP Family ALL Prov.

Property rights in common-law break-ups

Region: Ontario Answer # 0142

Unless you have signed a cohabitation agreement, common-law spouses generally have fewer legal rights than married spouses upon break-up of a relationship. Under the Ontario Family Law Act, a couple is considered to be living in a common-law relationship if they have been living together intimately for at least three years or if they have been living together for less time but they have a child together.

Rights common-law spouses do not have

There are two important rights which married spouses have if they separate which common-law spouses do not have:

  1. Common-law spouses do not each have an equal right to live in the family home.
  2. Common-law spouses do not have an automatic right to equalize their net family property acquired during their relationship.

In most cases, both the home and other property go to the person who is the owner. Each person usually keeps everything they brought into the relationship, property they personally own, and jointly owned property is shared. Having said that however, the law does recognize that a spouse may have acquired a right to be compensated for contributions made to their common-law spouse’s property. Such rights can be asserted through unjust enrichment and constructive trust claims.

A criminal record will affect child custody and adoption. To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

Getting the advice and legal help you need

If you are about to separate or have recently separated from your common-law partner, a lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and ensure that your interests are protected. It is advisable to get the legal help that’s right for you. If you are considering representing yourself in a family law matter, you may wish to get help from The Family Law Coach. Their experienced family law lawyers can provide information, legal assistance, advice and practical tips to help you prepare your case and improve your outcome. They provide specific services for fixed prices, and you only pay for the services you want. If you are considering hiring a lawyer to represent you, for legal advice and assistance regarding property rights in a common-law relationship break-up, and other family law matters, contact a family law lawyer.

The Family Law Coach ALL Other Family TopicsThe Family Law Coach ALL Other Family Topics


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you