Registering for HST and GST

Region: Ontario Answer # 197

Generally, a business is only required to register for a GST/HST account with Canada Revenue Agency if it sells taxable goods or services, and if its total revenue from all sources is more than $30,000 annually. However, if your business is not registered and your revenues total more than $30,000 in any four consecutive quarters, you will be required to register for GST/HST within one month. If you do not register you will still have to pay GST/HST on your business expenses.

There may be advantages to registering for GST/HST even if your revenue is less than $30,000. For example,

  • you want to claim input tax credits (ITCs) to recover the GST/HST you pay or owe on your business purchases;
  • you are starting your business activities and you want to register before your total worldwide revenues of taxable goods and services exceed $30,000; or
  • your clients may only do business with businesses registered for GST/HST.

What businesses do not have to register for HST and GST?

Some types of businesses do not have to register, regardless of their annual revenue. These include but are not limited to, most health related services, daycare services, fees for children’s recreational programs, financial services, tuition for educational programs, and services by charities with annual revenues less than the prescribed amount. Many provincial and territorial government entities are also exempt.

If you do not register, you will still have to pay GST on your business expenses, and you will not be able to recover the GST you pay to your suppliers or contractors.

Businesses can register for a GST/HST account with CRA in three ways: online, by telephone, or by mail. Registration for a Business Number (BN) and other program accounts can be done at the same time.

For general information or to register for the GST/HST, visit Canada Revenue Agency.

For legal advice in deciding which form of business is right for you, assistance with setting up your business, and for all other business matters, contact our preferred business lawyers, Singer Business Law .


For help filing your tax returns, contact H&R Block.

For legal advice and assistance with tax planning, a CRA tax dispute, or other tax issues, contact our preferred Tax lawyers and see who’s right for you: 

Barrett Tax Law

Tax Chambers LLP

Tax Chambers Tax Law Ontario All Topics Sept 2017Tax Chambers Tax Law Ontario All Topics Sept 2017

H&R Block Tax Law Ontario All Topics Sept 2017H&R Block Tax Law Ontario All Topics Sept 2017

Barrett April 2017 Ontario Tax Law Topic 197Barrett April 2017 Ontario Tax Law Topic 197

Singer Aug 2017 Ontario Business 197Singer Aug 2017 Ontario Business 197


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Website by Turnbull & Co.


Page loaded. Thank you