Home Deposit TOP Landlord ALL Prov.Home Deposit TOP Landlord ALL Prov.

Rent increases and maximum rent

Region: Ontario Answer # 435

In 2024, the maximum most landlords can raise a tenant’s rent without the approval of the Landlord and Tenant Board is 2.5% (rent control). Generally, a tenant’s rent can only be increased once every 12 months, and the landlord must give the tenant written notice of a rent increase at least 90 days before it takes effect.

If you are having trouble with your tenant or your landlord regarding rent and would like help, ask a lawyer now.

What tenancies does the rent controlled increase apply to?

The controlled maximum annual rent increase applies to most residential rental accommodations covered by the Residential Tenancies Act, including:

  • single and semi-detached houses,
  • apartments,
  • condominiums,
  • care homes,
  • mobile homes,
  • land lease communities, and
  • basement apartments

What type of tenancies are not subject to government rent control?

Rent control does not apply to:

  • units in buildings occupied/rented for the first time after November 15, 2018
  • units that are newly built, additions to existing buildings, and new basement apartments
  • social housing units
  • vacant residential units
  • long-term care homes, or
  • commercial property.

How are rent increases determined?

For most tenants, rent cannot be increased by more than the Ontario Government yearly rental increase guidelines. However, landlords may apply to the province’s Landlord and Tenant Board for an increase above the annual limit. The guidelines are calculated using the Ontario Consumer Price Index, which measures inflation and economic conditions over a year.

When can a landlord raise the rent above the guidelines?

A landlord can make an application to the Board to approve a rent increase above the guideline if:

  • a landlord’s costs for municipal taxes or utilities (heat, water and electricity combined) have increased an exceptional amount,
  • a landlord’s operating costs related to security services increased, or
  • the landlord had eligible capital expenditures, meaning extraordinary or significant renovations, repairs, replacements or new additions to the building or to individual units.

Illegal rent

If a landlord charges illegal rent, the tenant may be able to get a rebate by applying to the Landlord and Tenant Board. This includes cases where the landlord charges more than the maximum amount, or raises the rent more than once every 12 months. To apply for a rebate, the tenant will need to fill out forms requesting a hearing and file them with the Board office together with a small application fee. Tenants who need assistance making an application should contact a local legal clinic.

For additional information about maximum rent and rent increases in Ontario, visit ontario.ca.

Help for Tenants

A criminal record will affect your ability to be approved for a residential lease. To erase your criminal record, learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

If you are having financial problems, it may be difficult to rent an apartment or condominium. You can get help to clear your debt and repair your credit. For easy-to-understand debt solutions on your terms, contact our preferred experts 4Pillars and rebuild your financial future. With 60 locations across Canada, they will help you design a debt repayment plan and guide you with compassionate advice. No judgment. For help, visit 4Pillars or call toll-free 1-844-888-0442 .

If you are a Tenant, you can add your monthly rent payment to your credit report using FrontLobby. This can:

  • Contribute to improving your credit score (Renters have reported 33pts to 84pts jumps)
  • Help establish a positive credit history with a new rent tradeline
  • Improve your access to credit related rewards (better bank loans, credit cards, mortgage rates)

Help for Landlords & Property Managers

For legal advice and assistance with a residential tenancy and applications to the Landlord and Tenant Board, contact our preferred Landlord and Tenant experts Nicola (Nick) Giannantonio Legal Services .

If you are a Landlord or Property Manager, you can report rent payments to Credit Bureaus and screen Tenants using FrontLobby. This can:

  • Attract financially responsible applicants interested in building credit with their rent
  • Decrease rent delinquencies (Landlords have reported 92% reductions) and recover unpaid rent
  • Reduce Tenant turnover and improve monthly cash flow

Get legal help

If you are having trouble with your tenant or your landlord and would like help, ask a lawyer now.

FrontLobby Landlord & Tenant ONFrontLobby Landlord & Tenant ON

NG Legal Services Landlord and Tenant ONNG Legal Services Landlord and Tenant ON

4Pillars Landlord & Tenant Ontario All Topics May 20184Pillars Landlord & Tenant Ontario All Topics May 2018

Pardon Partners – Landlord ONPardon Partners – Landlord ON


You now have 4 options:

Request permission for your organization to copy information from this website.

Page loaded. Thank you