Area of Law: USA Travel and Immigration
Answer Number: 1066
Requirements to become a USA CitizenRegion: Ontario Answer Number: 1066
In general, permanent residents can apply for citizenship either three years after becoming a permanent resident (based on marriage) or five years after becoming a permanent resident (employment based).
During the time after becoming a permanent resident, the applicant must have resided continuously in the USA, meaning that anything more than casual trips outside the USA can disrupt this continuity and restart the continuous presence requirement. The applicant must also meet the additional following requirements:
- they must have been a resident of the state from which they are applying for at least three months before making the application,
- they must prove that they have been physically present in the USA for 30 months prior to filing, and
- they must also be of good moral character and be able to pass the English and Civics test given before the interview at the local office.
A criminal record will prevent you from entering the USA or obtaining your USA immigration status. To erase your Canadian criminal record, call toll-free 1-800-874-2652 or learn more at Parole Board of Canada. It’s easier than you think.
For legal advice and assistance with your USA citizenship application, contact Bright Immigration Consultants .
Was your question answered?
You now haveoptions:
- More answers about USA Travel and Immigration
- Master List of all other areas of law
- Contact our preferred experts and see who's right for you
- ASK an Expert, submit your question
- Connect with government offices