Area of Law: USA Travel and Immigration
Answer # 1067
USA citizenship application processRegion: Ontario Answer # 1067
The USA citizenship application process involves many steps:
File an application
- The applicant must file an application through USCIS using form N-400
- USCIS will issue a receipt of the application notice
- USCIS will send the applicant an appointment notice for biometrics (fingerprints and photo) to be taken at a local application support centre (ASC) office
USCIS review, background check, and interview
- USCIS will complete an initial review and background check and the applicant will be sent an notice to appear for an interview at a local office (depending on location, it may not be the same place as where the applicant completed biometrics).
- Prior to meeting with an officer, the applicant will need to pass a general English and Civics test. Study guides and all possible Civics questions are available online at uscis.gov.
- At the interview, the officer will review the application with the applicant and confirm the applicant’s intent to be and remain loyal to the US.
Approval of application and oath-swearing ceremony
- Once an officer approves the application, the applicant will be scheduled for an oath-swearing ceremony. At that point, the applicant is officially a naturalized US citizen.
For more information about applying for USA citizenship, visit to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Citizenship Resource Centre.
A criminal record will prevent you from entering the USA or obtaining your USA immigration status. To erase your Canadian criminal record, call toll-free 1-877-219-1644 or learn more at Federal Pardon Waiver Services. It’s easier than you think.
For legal advice and assistance with your USA citizenship application, contact Bright Immigration Consultants .
You now haveoptions: