i am here
stdClass Object
    [term_id] => 90
    [name] => Family Law
    [slug] => family-law
    [term_group] => 0
    [term_order] => 15
    [term_taxonomy_id] => 90
    [taxonomy] => topics
    [description] => 
    [parent] => 0
    [count] => 0
    [filter] => raw
{"ontario":"74675, 74687","alberta":"75978, 74687","british-columbia":"75978, 74687","manitoba":"75978, 74687","new-brunswick":"75978, 74687","nl":"75978, 74687","nwt":"75978, 74687","nova-scotia":"75978, 74687","nunavut":"75978, 74687","pei":"75978, 74687","quebec":"75978, 74687","saskatchewan":"75978, 74687","yukon":"75978, 74687"}

Empire Family Top ONEmpire Family Top ON

Pardon Partners – Family TOP Banner ALLPardon Partners – Family TOP Banner ALL

Visitation and access rights

Region: Ontario Answer # 114

A parent who is not given custody of a child can still have rights to visit the child and take part in the child’s life. These are called access rights. Access rights allow you to visit with your children and know about their health, education and general welfare. You and your spouse can either agree on visitation yourselves or you can ask the court to give you an access order. Access orders can be open or they can be specifically structured depending on the circumstances.

Types of access

Generally, the court will order one of the following three types of access: reasonable, fixed, or supervised. In some cases, access will be denied.

1. Reasonable access

If both parents are in agreement, access arrangements can be left open and flexible instead of having a detailed schedule. This is sometimes called reasonable access, and it allows the parents to informally make arrangements that can easily be changed if the situation changes.

2. Fixed access

If the terms of the access include a specific and detailed schedule, this is known as fixed or specified access. The terms may cover things like holidays and birthdays.

A typical fixed access order is one in which the parent who is given access will be with the child on alternate weekends and perhaps one evening in between. Long weekends will be divided equally as will Christmas vacations and March break. An access parent will usually have the child for two or three weeks in the summer to coincide with their own vacations. Fixed access orders may include where access will take place, or other conditions.

3. Supervised access

There may also be cases where access needs to be supervised by another person. For instance, when the parent with access:

  • has a problem with drugs or alcohol,
  • has abused the child in the past, or
  • has threatened or tried to take the child away from the other parent.

A social worker, relative, friend, or children’s aid worker may all qualify to be the one who supervises the access visit.

4. No access

Where appropriate, the non-custodial parent may be denied access. This usually happens in only the most extreme cases, such as when serious child neglect or abuse has been proven, or where a child’s safety is at risk. For more information about visitation and access rights, visit the Ministry of the Attorney General website.

A criminal record will affect child custody and adoption. To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

Protect yourself and your children

When going through a separation, divorce or child custody it is important to make sure you are protecting your and your children’s financial future. Consider including a life insurance policy and investment plan as part of your separation agreement. This protection can help with your living expenses, mortgage payments, and your children’s education. For help, contact an Empire Life advisor today.”

Getting the advice and legal help you need

Making decisions about child custody can be very difficult and quite complex. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and obligations, and help you to create the best possible arrangement for you and your children. It is advisable to get the legal help that’s right for you. If you are considering representing yourself in a family law matter, you may wish to get help from The Family Law Coach. Their experienced family law lawyers can provide information, legal assistance, advice and practical tips to help you prepare your case and improve your outcome. They provide specific services for fixed prices, and you only pay for the services you want. If you are considering hiring a lawyer to represent you, for legal advice and assistance regarding child custody issues and other family law matters, contact a family law lawyer.

Retirement ready?

You want to balance your mortgage, kids’ education, and retirement savings. Are you saving enough to meet your goals and be ready for retirement? An advisor has the expertise to get you on track to achieve your long-term goals, and can help you set realistic planning targets and stick to your plan. Contact an Empire Life advisor today for more information.

Empire Family Bottom ONEmpire Family Bottom ON

The Family Law Coach ALL Other Family TopicsThe Family Law Coach ALL Other Family Topics


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you