Area of Law: Criminal Records
Answer Number: 2172
What are the benefits of having a Pardon or a Record Suspension (RS)?Region: Ontario Answer Number: 2172
Individuals with a criminal record are often at a serious disadvantage with many aspects of regular day-to-day life. Some of the benefits of being awarded a Pardon or an RS, as with destructions and purges, include such things as:
- an RCMP records check will no longer show the information,
- the American officials will not be able to access the information from the RCMP, providing that the U.S.A. did not have a copy of this information prior to the purge,
- local police services also seal their records (although not obligated to do so), and an local police record check will no longer show the charge.
Canadian human rights laws forbid discrimination against the individual based on a pardoned or suspended record. Also, the Chairperson of the Parole Board of Canada stated, “… the pardons system has a dual benefit: to assist the individual with a criminal record in moving forward in his or her rehabilitation, and to enhance the safety of communities by motivating the individual to remain crime-free and to maintain good conduct.”
If you have been charged with a criminal offence, refer to our criminal law section.
Was your question answered?
You now haveoptions:
- More answers about Criminal Records
- Master List of all other areas of law
- Contact our preferred experts and see who's right for you
- Connect with government offices