Area of Law: Cannabis Law
Answer # 2441
Is it legal to sell cannabis edibles?Region: Ontario Answer # 2441
The sale and purchase of cannabis edibles is legal in Canada. They must be purchased from a provincial government online or retail site, or through a licensed private retailer. Edibles refer to food and drink products such as weed-infused beverages, baked goods, gummy candies and lollipops made with marijuana or hashish, or infused with marijuana or hash oils.
Licensed producers must first submit their edible cannabis products to Health Canada before they can be available for legal sale to the public. Once submitted, the products are subject to a 60-90 day approval and procurement process.
Health Canada has released regulations regarding the content, packaging, labelling and promotion of cannabis edible products.
The content in a cannabis edible product must contain:
- a limit of 10 milligrams of THC per package
- no added vitamins or minerals
- no nicotine or added alcohol
- limits on caffeine
The packaging of a cannabis edible product must:
- be child-resistant and plain
The label on a cannabis edible product must display:
- a list of ingredients and allergens, and a Nutrition Facts table
- the standardized cannabis symbol for products containing THC
- a health warning message
- the THC/CBD content
- the equivalency to dried cannabis to determine public possession limit
As well, cannabis edible products cannot:
- make any claims respecting health benefits
- be appealing to youth
- contain elements that would associate the product with alcoholic beverages, tobacco products, or vaping products
- make dietary or cosmetic claims
Although cannabis edibles may be legal federally, provincial and territorial governments regulate the rules regarding the sale and pubic consumption of cannabis edibles. For more information, view other topics in Cannabis Law or view our Links and Resources.
For information on where edibles may be legally in Ontario, view topic 2402 Private retailers and government sales.
For legal advice and assistance with a cannabis related matter, contact our preferred cannabis law expert, Harrison Jordan Law .
You now haveoptions: