Ai Estate Bonds TOP Banner ONAi Estate Bonds TOP Banner ON

What happens if you die without a Will? (Intestate)

Region: Ontario Answer # 150

If you die without a Will, the law says that you have died “intestate,” which means that you left no instructions as to how your property is to be divided and distributed. In these circumstances, the Ontario Succession Law Reform Act governs how your property will be distributed to your surviving relatives. Even if you want your property divided according to provincial law, you should still have a Will because it will reduce delays and expenses involved in wrapping up your affairs.

How your property will be distributed

According to the Act, if you die without a Will, your property will be distributed as follows:

1) If you have a spouse, but no children:

Your spouse inherits everything. This only applies to legally married spouses. Common-law spouses do not automatically receive anything if you die without a Will.

2) If you have a spouse and children:

Your spouse first takes a preferential share

  • up-to $200,000 worth of assets if death took place before March 1, 2021, or
  • up-to $350,000 worth of assets if death took place on or after March 1, 2021

Anything left over is called the residue. If anything is left over, it is divided between your spouse and your children as follows: If there is only one child, your spouse and child each receive half of the residue of the estate; if there is more than one child, your spouse receives one-third of the residue and the children share the remainder equally.

3) If you have children, but no spouse:

The children each inherit an equal portion of your estate. If any of them have died, that child’s descendants (i.e. the deceased person’s grandchildren) will inherit their share.

4) If you have no spouse and no children:

Your parents inherit your entire estate.

5) If you have no spouse, no children, and no parents:

Your brothers and sisters (or their children if any brothers and sisters have died) divide your estate.

6) If you also have no brothers and sisters:

Your nieces and nephews each inherit an equal portion of your estate.

7) If you have no nieces and nephews:

All other next of kin inherit an equal portion of your estate.

8) If you have no living next of kin:

Your estate goes to the Ontario government.

Who is considered a relative?

It is important to note that when someone dies without a Will, only blood relatives, including children born outside of a marriage, or legally adopted children can inherit. Half-blood relatives will share equally with whole-blood relatives.


Problems that arise when someone dies without a Will

Dying without a Will can create problems for those you leave behind. First, your property will be divided according to the law, which may not be the same as how you would have divided it. Second, there will be extra time delays and expenses involved in wrapping up your affairs, and the court will have to appoint someone to act as your personal representative. The general rule is that your closest relative has the right to be appointed as your personal representative. They are appointed by applying to the court for a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee Without a Will. This gives authority to the personal representative to manage and distribute the estate of the deceased.


Administration Bonds

An Estate Administration Bond is commonly issued when an administrator is appointed to handle the estate of somebody who died without a valid will. The bond:

  • protects the estate in the event an administrator mishandles the estate
  • guaranteeing those intended to receive money or property will be able to claim the full value of their inheritance, such as beneficiaries and creditors.

For more information about administration bonds, or to purchase a bond, contact Ai Surety Bonding .

Getting the legal help you need

Wills are extremely important documents and relatively inexpensive to have prepared professionally. If you want to make sure your Will is legal and clearly expresses your wishes, you should consult a lawyer.

Ai Estate Administration Bottom Banner ON 150Ai Estate Administration Bottom Banner ON 150


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you