i am here
stdClass Object
    [term_id] => 90
    [name] => Family Law
    [slug] => family-law
    [term_group] => 0
    [term_order] => 15
    [term_taxonomy_id] => 90
    [taxonomy] => topics
    [description] => 
    [parent] => 0
    [count] => 0
    [filter] => raw
{"ontario":"74675, 74687","alberta":"75978, 74687","british-columbia":"75978, 74687","manitoba":"75978, 74687","new-brunswick":"75978, 74687","nl":"75978, 74687","nwt":"75978, 74687","nova-scotia":"75978, 74687","nunavut":"75978, 74687","pei":"75978, 74687","quebec":"75978, 74687","saskatchewan":"75978, 74687","yukon":"75978, 74687"}

Empire Family Top ONEmpire Family Top ON

Pardon Partners – Family TOP Banner ALLPardon Partners – Family TOP Banner ALL

What happens to the matrimonial home?

Region: Ontario Answer # 111

What is a matrimonial home?

The matrimonial home is the legal term used to describe the family home in which the spouses were living just prior to the date of separation. If you and your spouse regularly use more than one home together, then each home can be considered to be a matrimonial home. An additional matrimonial home, therefore, can include a cottage or chalet, or simply another home in another location.

Special rules for the matrimonial home

Unless spouses have a marriage contract setting out what happens to the matrimonial home upon marriage breakdown, the special rules set out in the Family Law Act apply. Regardless of whose name the deed is in, each spouse is regarded as having an equal interest in the matrimonial home. If the spouses owned more than one matrimonial home, the value of each of these homes must be allocated equally to each spouse as of the time of separation.

The rules set in the Act are particularly significant if one spouse owned the home before the marriage and it continues to be a matrimonial home at the time of separation. Even where one spouse owned the matrimonial home before the marriage, the entire value of the home has to be divided with the other spouse upon separation. Consequently, the spouse who owned the home before the marriage is not entitled to keep, or get credit for, the value of the home calculated at the time of the marriage. This is not the case with most other types of property, where a value is credited to the spouse who owned it prior to the time of marriage, based on its value at the date of marriage.

Exclusive possession of matrimonial home

When a relationship breaks down, it is common for one spouse to move out of the family home. However, in cases where neither spouse is willing to leave, it may still be possible to apply to the court to live in the family home without your spouse. Obtaining an order that would require your spouse to live somewhere else is called “an order for exclusive possession” and is mainly used for spouses who are experiencing abusive situations. You can make an application for exclusive possession even if you are not the one who owns the home, or the person named on the lease.

Exclusive possession orders, as the name suggests, precludes the other spouse from entering onto the matrimonial property. An order can be obtained for most types of property including houses, condominiums and apartments. These orders do not decide who owns the property, or who has rights under a lease. Being excluded from the matrimonial home does not affect your ownership rights. However, if the matrimonial home is subject to a lease, there may be other legal requirements that must be addressed.

In most cases, children are allowed to live in the matrimonial home and this will be stated in the order. Exclusive possession orders are usually temporary, and intended to apply until the couple has entered into a legally binding separation agreement.

To obtain an order for exclusive possession, an application must be made to the family court. In making a decision, the court will consider many factors, including:

1. The best interests of the children:

  • safety of the children
  • the effect that a move might have on them
  • their ties to the neighbourhood and local school
  • how long they have lived there
  • extra-curricular activities or studies in the area

2. Violence committed by one spouse against the other spouse or the children

3. The financial situation of both spouses

4. Written agreements made between the spouses

5. Alternative housing options for both spouses

Orders for exclusive possession usually apply to spouses who were legally married. If you are in a common-law relationship, it may be more difficult to obtain an order for exclusive possession if your name is not on the deed or lease. For more information, contact the Ministry of the Attorney General.

A criminal record will affect child custody and adoption. To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

Protect yourself and your children

When going through a separation, divorce or child custody it is important to make sure you are protecting your and your children’s financial future. Consider including a life insurance policy and investment plan as part of your separation agreement. This protection can help with your living expenses, mortgage payments, and your children’s education. For help, contact an Empire Life advisor today.”

Getting advice and the legal help you need

If you are about to separate, have recently separated, or are planning to get a divorce, a lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and ensure that your interests are protected. Each spouse should acquire independent legal advice. Even if you and your spouse agree on property, child custody and support, you should consult a lawyer to make sure you both know your legal rights and obligations. If you and your spouse do not agree on how to divide property, how much support needs to be paid, or who will have custody of your children, a lawyer will be able to provide you with specific legal advice for your situation. Agreements reached without independent legal advice may not be legally binding. It is advisable to get the legal help that’s right for you. If you are considering representing yourself in a family law matter, you may wish to get help from The Family Law Coach. Their experienced family law lawyers can provide information, legal assistance, advice and practical tips to help you prepare your case and improve your outcome. They provide specific services for fixed prices, and you only pay for the services you want. If you are considering hiring a lawyer to represent you, for legal advice and assistance regarding separation, divorce and other family law matters, contact a family law lawyer.

Retirement ready?

You want to balance your mortgage, kids’ education, and retirement savings. Are you saving enough to meet your goals and be ready for retirement? An advisor has the expertise to get you on track to achieve your long-term goals, and can help you set realistic planning targets and stick to your plan. Contact an Empire Life advisor today for more information.

Empire Family Bottom ONEmpire Family Bottom ON

The Family Law Coach ALL Other Family TopicsThe Family Law Coach ALL Other Family Topics


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you