i am here
stdClass Object
    [term_id] => 90
    [name] => Family Law
    [slug] => family-law
    [term_group] => 0
    [term_order] => 15
    [term_taxonomy_id] => 90
    [taxonomy] => topics
    [description] => 
    [parent] => 0
    [count] => 0
    [filter] => raw
{"ontario":"74675, 74687","alberta":"75978, 74687","british-columbia":"75978, 74687","manitoba":"75978, 74687","new-brunswick":"75978, 74687","nl":"75978, 74687","nwt":"75978, 74687","nova-scotia":"75978, 74687","nunavut":"75978, 74687","pei":"75978, 74687","quebec":"75978, 74687","saskatchewan":"75978, 74687","yukon":"75978, 74687"}

Empire Family Top ONEmpire Family Top ON

Pardon Partners – Family TOP Banner ALLPardon Partners – Family TOP Banner ALL

What happens when you separate?

Region: Ontario Answer # 104

Once spouses begin to live separately, important legal rights and obligations arise that affect finances, property, and children. Separation is the first step in what can be a complex and sometimes costly sequence of events.

What is separation?

A separation is recognized in law as soon as two spouses are living separately and apart under circumstances where there is no reasonable prospect that they will resume cohabitation. This usually means that one spouse has moved out of the family home. Even if the spouses are still living in the same residence, in some circumstances, they could be legally separated if they are considered to be living “separate and apart” and have ceased to engage in any conjugal relationship. Simply living together for reasons of economic necessity will not preclude the finding of separation, and severe incompatibility within a household will not necessarily mean a separated household. There must be both physical separation and a withdrawal by one or both spouses from the matrimonial obligation with the intent of destroying the marriage. If possible, you should seek legal advice before separating. The things you do at the time of separation can have a significant impact on who gets custody of the children, possession of the family home, and division of property.

Rights and obligations that arise upon separation

Once a couple separates, there are five basic rights that arise.

  1. You can apply to equalize net family property or, on an interim basis, apply to obtain possession of property or to preserve property,
  2. You can apply for financial support for yourself and your children,
  3. You can apply for custody of the children,
  4. You can apply for visitation rights, and
  5. You can apply to live in the family home without your spouse even if you are not the one who owns it. Obtaining an order that would require your spouse to live somewhere else is called “an order for exclusive possession” and is mainly used for spouses who are experiencing abusive situations.

Protect yourself and your children

When going through a separation, divorce or child custody it is important to make sure you are protecting your and your children’s financial future. Consider including a life insurance policy and investment plan as part of your separation agreement. This protection can help with your living expenses, mortgage payments, and your children’s education. For help, contact an Empire Life advisor today.”

What property can you take?

When a married couple separates, the spouses will need to know what they are each entitled to. Ordinarily, separating couples will agree on the personal property to which each is entitled. In the absence of agreement each spouse is entitled to take anything that he or she owned before the marriage. It is important to remember that ordinarily the Family Law Act of Ontario does not change rights of ownership in respect of either personal property or any other asset. For example, bank accounts owned by each spouse will remain their separate property. Ordinarily the proceeds of a joint bank account will be divided.

Eventually, all the assets owned by each individual spouse, and those owned jointly will be dealt with. The net values, and any equalization payment that will need to be paid from one spouse to the other, will be determined.

What about the matrimonial home?

Usually when spouses separate they will sell or otherwise dispose of their matrimonial home. Generally speaking, the equity in the home at the time of separation is treated as belonging to both spouses regardless of whose name is on the title. For example, if the house is registered in the name of the husband alone, the equity in the home will still belong to both spouses. This does not require the owning spouse to sell the home and, indeed, any post-separation increase belongs to the owning spouse who also assumes the risk of any decline in value.

There are occasions when one spouse may leave the matrimonial home while the other remains. Under certain circumstances the court can order that the contents of the home remain in the home until the matrimonial affairs have been settled. In the absence of a court order it is not unusual for a parent departing with a child to take whatever possessions are necessary to look after the child. For more information on marriage laws in Ontario, refer to the Ministry of the Attorney General.

A criminal record will affect child custody and adoption. To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

Getting the advice and legal help you need

If you are about to separate or have recently separated, a lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and ensure that your interests are protected. It is advisable to get the legal help that’s right for you. If you are considering representing yourself in a family law matter, you may wish to get help from The Family Law Coach. Their experienced family law lawyers can provide information, legal assistance, advice and practical tips to help you prepare your case and improve your outcome. They provide specific services for fixed prices, and you only pay for the services you want. If you are considering hiring a lawyer to represent you, for legal advice and assistance regarding separation, divorce and other family law matters, contact a family law lawyer.

Retirement ready?

You want to balance your mortgage, kids’ education, and retirement savings. Are you saving enough to meet your goals and be ready for retirement? An advisor has the expertise to get you on track to achieve your long-term goals, and can help you set realistic planning targets and stick to your plan. Contact an Empire Life advisor today for more information.

Empire Family Bottom ONEmpire Family Bottom ON

The Family Law Coach ALL Other Family TopicsThe Family Law Coach ALL Other Family Topics




You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you