Area of Law: Coronavirus COVID-19
Answer # 7205
What to do if an employee becomes ill with COVID-19Region: Ontario Answer # 7205
It is important that employers develop a plan of what to do if someone becomes ill with, or is suspected of having COVID-19 at your workplace. In such cases, employers can do the following:
- Brief your employees, contractors and customers that if COVID-19 starts spreading in your community anyone with even a mild cough or low-grade fever (37.3 C or more) needs to stay at home, monitor their symptoms, and get tested if they think they have COVID-19.
- Employees should be made aware that medications, such as paracetamol/acetaminophen, ibuprofen or aspirin, may mask symptoms of infection.
- If an employee reports that they are infected with COVID-19, other employees who have been in contact with them should monitor themselves and get tested.
- The workplace where the infected person was working should be thoroughly sanitized.
- The employer should contact the local health authorities to report cases in their workplace.
- Display posters in your workplace with the message that workers with even mild symptoms should stay at home and monitor themselves.
- Check with your local public health authority who may have developed campaign materials that you can have to promote this message in your workplace.
For up-to-date employment rules, refer to your provincial ministry of labour.
Get help from a life insurance advisor
Understanding life insurance and what is best for you can be overwhelming. It is important to get professional advice for your unique situation, and it is more affordable than you think. Life insurance can protect your family, your home and your business. For a free consultation and quote, contact an Empire Life Insurance advisor.
You now haveoptions: