Area of Law: Coronavirus COVID-19
Answer # 7205
What to do if an employee becomes ill with COVID-19Region: Ontario Answer # 7205
It is important that employers develop a plan of what to do if someone becomes ill with, or is suspected of having COVID-19 at your workplace. In such cases, employers can do the following:
- Brief your employees, contractors and customers that if COVID-19 starts spreading in your community anyone with even a mild cough or low-grade fever (37.3 C or more) needs to stay at home, monitor their symptoms, and get tested if they think they have COVID-19.
- Employees should be made aware that medications, such as paracetamol/acetaminophen, ibuprofen or aspirin, may mask symptoms of infection.
- If an employee reports that they are infected with COVID-19, other employees who have been in contact with them should monitor themselves and get tested.
- The workplace where the infected person was working should be thoroughly sanitized.
- The employer should contact the local health authorities to report cases in their workplace.
- Display posters in your workplace with the message that workers with even mild symptoms should stay at home and monitor themselves.
- Check with your local public health authority who may have developed campaign materials that you can have to promote this message in your workplace.
For up-to-date employment rules, refer to your provincial ministry of labour.
You now haveoptions: