Pardon Partners – Criminal TOP Banner ONPardon Partners – Criminal TOP Banner ON

Calvin Barry Criminal Top Banner ONCalvin Barry Criminal Top Banner ON

What to do if you are assaulted or abused

Region: Ontario Answer # 784

Having the police lay a charge

If you have been assaulted or abused, you should first escape from the offender and seek medical attention. You should then call the police and explain what happened. In most cases the police will arrest the accused and lay charges. You should also record the names and badge numbers of the officers who assisted you.

To ensure that you have an accurate record of the assault, report all of your injuries to both the police and to a doctor in detail, and write down everything that happened as soon as possible. You may also want to have photographs taken of your injuries to keep with your written records. Also try to keep track of all the expenses that you incurred as a result of the assault.

If you are being abused by a spouse or partner, you may want to contact a women’s shelter or call a domestic assault hotline. You will be able to talk with a counsellor who can advise you of your options and help you decide what to do.

Getting help

More information and a list of resources on getting help for victims of child and spousal abuse can be found in topic #128 Child and spousal abuse: Getting help.

To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

If you have been charged with a crime, it is important to hire an experienced criminal defence lawyer as soon as possible. Contact our preferred criminal defence expert, Calvin Barry Criminal Lawyers for a free consultation at 416-938-5858 .

Calvin Barry General Criminal bottom bannerCalvin Barry General Criminal bottom banner

Pardon Partners – Criminal ONPardon Partners – Criminal ON


You now have 3 options:

Request permission for your organization to copy information from this website.

Page loaded. Thank you