Pardon Partners – Small Claims TOP Banner ONPardon Partners – Small Claims TOP Banner ON

When can you sue?

Region: Ontario Answer # 540

There are many reasons why people start lawsuits. Generally, you can sue a person for violating your legal rights if you suffered a loss. This includes: if someone breaks an agreement; if someone damages your personal property; if someone owes you money or; if someone causes you to suffer a physical injury.

If you believe that you have a real reason to start a lawsuit, it may be necessary to go to Small Claims Court. Before you do, however, you should consider trying all reasonable steps to resolve the problem. Going to any court, even Small Claims Court, takes time and money.

Some possibilities of solving problems without going to court may be to speak with a manager or business owner about your problem, or write a letter of complaint requesting a repair or refund. If you provide a complaint form and other relevant documents to the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services, they will assist you with your rights under the Consumer Protection Act.  Also, in certain cases, such as where your claim is in excess of $500, they will contact the business on your behalf and try to mediate a solution. Keep a copy of any letter that you write, because you may be able to use it if you end up having to take the matter to court.

More information about Small Claims Court in Ontario can be found from the Ministry of the Attorney General.  For information on how to make a complaint or request a refund, visit the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.

Get help

If you are having financial difficulties and want to clear your debt and repair your credit, you can get help. For easy-to-understand debt solutions on your terms, contact our preferred experts 4Pillars and rebuild your financial future. With 60 locations across Canada, they will help you design a debt repayment plan and guide you with compassionate advice. No judgment. For help, visit 4Pillars or call toll-free 1-844-888-0442 .

If you are having legal difficulties because of a past criminal record and wish to erase your record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

For legal advice and assistance with starting a Small Claims Court lawsuit, contact our preferred experts, George Brown Professional Corporation .

To hire a process server to serve small claims or other legal documents, file court documents, or conduct legal searches, contact our preferred experts:

Ontario Wide Process Servers

Lormit Personal Services

George Brown Professional Corporation Small ClaimsGeorge Brown Professional Corporation Small Claims

4Pillars Small Claims Ontario All Topics May 20184Pillars Small Claims Ontario All Topics May 2018

Pardon Partners – Small Claims ONPardon Partners – Small Claims ON

Ontario Wide Process Servers Small Claims ONOntario Wide Process Servers Small Claims ON

Lormit Small Claims ONLormit Small Claims ON


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you