i am here
stdClass Object
    [term_id] => 333
    [name] => USA Travel and Immigration
    [slug] => usa-travel-and-immigration
    [term_group] => 0
    [term_order] => 12
    [term_taxonomy_id] => 333
    [taxonomy] => topics
    [description] =>  For Information about Canadian Immigration, click here

[parent] => 0 [count] => 0 [filter] => raw )

Pardon Partners – USA Travel TOP Banner ALL PROVINCESPardon Partners – USA Travel TOP Banner ALL PROVINCES

Where are taxes paid on Canadian-owned USA rental property income?

Region: Ontario Answer # 1086

If you receive rental income from real property owned in America, you must pay a non-resident withholding tax of 30% of the gross rental income. The 30% cannot be reduced. However, if the rental income is connected to a business, then you can deduct expenses to run that business and be taxed on the net income at graduated rates. To do this, you must do the following:

  • complete form W-8ECI which has to be submitted by the tenant to the IRS; and
  • file a U.S. tax return as a non-resident (form 1040NR). The return has to include a statement that an election has been made. To file this form, you will also need to get an ITIN: a U.S. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number by completing a form W-7.

More information about foreign individuals paying taxes in the USA is available from the Internal Revenue Office (IRA).

A criminal record will prevent you from entering the USA or obtaining your USA immigration status. To erase your Canadian criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

Pardon Partners – USA Travel ON Pardon 1030-1100Pardon Partners – USA Travel ON Pardon 1030-1100


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you