Area of Law: Coronavirus COVID-19
Answer # 7200
Workplace safety measures to prevent COVID-19Region: Ontario Answer # 7200
Managing Coronavirus in the workplace involves legal implications and considerations under provincial Employment Standards Acts, the Human Rights Code, Workers Compensation Acts, as well as employment agreements.
As with other health and safety considerations, employers have the responsibility to provide a safe work environment. To prevent the spread of Coronavirus, employers can implement several health measures. Public health protocols can be found at Health Canada and from Provincial Health Ministries.
Some practical measures include:
- Ensure the workplace is clean and hygenic
- Ask employees to clean their work area frequently
- Provide disinfectant for employees
- Send employees home if they show any Coronavirus symptoms
- Encourage frequent hand-washing
- If possible, open windows to allow the flow of fresh air
- Display information about Coronavirus and the need to maintain cleanliness
- Advise employees that the use of over-the-counter medications may mask the symptoms of Coronavirus
- Advise employees to be tested if they suspect they have the virus
You now haveoptions: