Writing to your MP or MPP

Region: Ontario Answer # 719

If you feel that you have been treated unfairly under the law, or if your concern requires government action, you should write to your MP or MPP. MPs and MPPs are elected officials whose job it is to change the law and to represent your interests along with those of other citizens in your riding. In deciding which elected representative can best help you, it is important to know the level of government your representative works with and whether your issue is within that government’s responsibility. Your MP or MPP may be able to help you if you are having a problem with something like Employment Insurance or Workers’ Compensation.

Your elected representative cannot influence the courts or any tribunals administering the law. For example, if you are charged with a criminal offence or another citizen is suing you, your elected representative can do little to help. To get legal help, ask a lawyer now.

Writing to your MP

MP is the abbreviation for Member of Parliament. Parliament is the federal government of Canada. The federal government meets in Ottawa at the House of Commons.

The federal government makes laws concerning matters such as:

  • Immigration
  • Canada pension
  • Employment Insurance Benefits, and
  • Old Age Security

To find out who your local MP is, visit Elections Canada.

Write to your MP in Ottawa at:

The House of Commons
Parliament Buildings
Ottawa, ON  K1A 0A6

If you are writing to the Prime Minister, the address is: Office of the Prime Minister, Langevin Block, 80 Wellington Street, 2nd Floor, Ottawa, Canada, K1A 0A2. You do not have to put a stamp on your letter to an MP or to the Prime Minister.

Writing to your MPP

MPP is the abbreviation for Member of Provincial Parliament. The Provincial Parliament is the government for the province of Ontario. Ontario’s provincial government meets in Toronto at Queen’s Park.

The provincial government makes laws concerning matters such as:

  • Family Benefits
  • Workers’ Compensation
  • Health
  • Housing, and
  • Schools

Members of Provincial Parliament have both a local office and a Toronto office. If you are writing to your MPP about a personal problem, write to the local office. If you are writing about a law, or something to do with the government, write to the House of Commons or to Queen’s Park.

For information on MPPs, visit the Legislative Assembly of Ontario website. There you will find general instructions on how to contact your MPP, links to MPP addresses, and contact information lists.

You do have to put a stamp on your letter to an MPP or the Premier.

What you should say in your letter

When you are writing to an MP or to an MPP, begin with the words “The Honourable” followed by his or her name and then MP or MPP, whichever is applicable. You should include the following information:

  • Who you are,
  • What you are writing about,
  • How you feel,
  • What you want done,
  • A date by which you want to hear about what they are going to do, and
  • Your name and address.

In some cases, it may be appropriate to send copies of your letter to the opposition party and other Ministers.

To find out if your problem or concern is federal or provincial, call your local library or your local office of the Liberal, Conservative, or NDP party.  For more information on government in Canada, visit canada.ca.

Get help

Navigating Canada’s complex federal and provincial laws can be difficult. It is important to know your rights and responsibilities. To get help, ask a lawyer now.


You now have 3 options:

Request permission for your organization to copy information from this website.

Page loaded. Thank you