Tenant insurance

Region: Ontario Answer # 2717

Tenant insurance for renters

If you rent your home, whether it be an apartment, condominium or house, you can buy tenant insurance. Tenant insurance generally includes two kinds of coverage:

  1. Contents coverage protects the contents of your apartment, such as furniture, clothing and electronic equipment, and replaces your belongings if they are lost or damaged.
  2. Basic Liability coverage will protect you, if you or your guests accidentally damage the apartment unit itself, or the whole building. For example, if you or your property is the cause of a fire that results in extensive damage to the building, and you do not have this coverage, you may be required to pay for the cost of repairs which should be covered under your policy.

Many landlords require that their tenants purchase tenant insurance and provide them with a copy of the policy before renting to them, or renewing their lease.


You now have 3 options:

Was your question answered?

Yes    No

What information would you like to see added?

Submit an Edit Request

What are your changes?*

Page loaded. Thank you