Area of Law: Paralegals and Law Clerks
Answer # 2820
Mohawk CollegeRegion: Ontario Answer # 2820
To apply for a paralegal licence with the Law Society of Ontario (LSO), all applicants must have graduated from a Law Society accredited Paralegal Education Program, which must be from a college approved by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
What is the Mohawk College Paralegal Diploma Program?
Graduates of the LSO accredited Paralegal Diploma Program at Mohawk College will have acquired the skills and knowledge established by the Law Society that are necessary to work as a non-lawyer licensed agent providing the public with legal services in specified areas of practice for a fee.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Administrative Law
- Legal ethics, small business practice and business management skills
- Written and oral advocacy skills
- Residential tenancy
- Tribunal practice and procedure
- OSSD or equivalent (GED, Academic Upgrading, College and Career preparation) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U equivalent 70% guideline
- Law and Justice studies courses are recommended
- Computer software skills required
- Participation in an Orientation Session, Police Criminal Records Check (PCRC) and written assignment submission may be used for applicant selection
- 2 academic years in periods of 8 months
- students can complete a two-year Diploma program in 16 months. Students will start in January and be in school for four continuous semesters: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter. Students will not be off during the summer
- courses can be delivered in a fully remote and virtual environment OR by a combination of remote learning and some in-person requirements
- experiential Learning
- interactive courtroom simulations
- unpaid 140-hour Practicum Placement
- field trips and site visits
- computer labs
Once students have completed all the requirements of this program and have received a diploma, they are eligible to apply for admission to the LSO’s paralegal licensing process.
For more information on the Paralegal Diploma Program at Mohawk College including fees, full admission requirements, and how to apply, visit mohawkcollege.ca
The Ontario Paralegal Association (OPA) is the largest professional association of licensed paralegals in Ontario. Its mandate is to represent the interests of paralegals throughout the Province. To find out more, or to become a member, visit the OPA website.
You now haveoptions: