Area of Law: Paralegals and Law Clerks
Answer # 2857
Humber CollegeRegion: Ontario Answer # 2857
The Business School at Humber College in Toronto offers a 4 semester Law Clerk Diploma Program that gives students the skills and knowledge required to be employed as a law clerk in Ontario.
What is the Law Clerk Program?
Students in the Law Clerk Program at Humber College are taught by practicing lawyers and law clerks and learn:
- legal research skills;
- transcribing legal dictation;
- legal and court procedures; and
- strong written and oral communication skills.
Courses of studies include:
- contract, tort, real estate, corporate and family law
- ethics and the rules of professional conduct, accounting and entrepreneurship
Applicants must meet three requirements to be eligible for the Program:
1. Academic – Students must possess:
- an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent including these required courses:
- Grade 12 English (ENG4C or ENG4U or equivalent)
- Three Grade 11 or Grade 12 C, M or U courses in addition to those listed above; OR
- Mature student status; OR
- College or university transfer status
2. English language proficiency
3. International Credit Evaluation: Canadian citizens or permanent residents with international education are required to provide a World Education Services (WES) or International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) evaluation.
How to apply
Applications to the Humber Law Clerk Program must be made to ontariocolleges.ca. Submissions should be made by February 1st to receive equal consideration. Applications made after this date will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis depending on availability in the Program.
The fee for the full 4 semesters is approximately $7,450 for domestic students, and $30,000 for international students (and are subject to change). Students may be eligible for scholarships and awards.
In the last semester of the program students complete an un-paid 133-hour work placement. A field placement advisor helps students secure a suitable placement.
Humber College also offers advanced education courses in partnership with the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario (ILCO). The Associate Program Certificate is designed to:
- improve the education and skills of law clerks already in the profession;
- enhance the knowledge of experienced legal assistants; and
- provide a basic academic foundation needed for individuals who have some legal experience (e.g. as a legal secretary) and plan a career as a law clerk.
Courses are available in 4 areas:
- Real Estate
Each prepatory course prepares students to write The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario’s Provincial Examination and become an Associate Member of ILCO. Different memberships provide different levels of help for law clerks beginning or advancing in their careers.
Admission requirements include two years of related work experience (currently employed as a law clerk or legal secretary) and a good command of written English. Visit humber.ca for more information.
Academic pathways for graduates of the Law Clerk Program
Students who graduate from the Program and meet the required grade point averages may be eligible to apply to other more advanced law related programs at partnering institutions.
This includes an LLB program at the University of Leicester and at the University of Gloucestershire, both in the United Kingdom; the Bachelor of Criminology and Criminal Justice program at Griffith University in Australia; and the Business Bachelor of Business Administration degree program at Davenport University in Michigan.
For more information on the Humber College School of Business, Law Clerk Program visit business.humber.ca.
You now haveoptions: