Pardon Partners – CR TOP BannerPardon Partners – CR TOP Banner

Can a youth record affect college or university opportunities?

Region: Ontario Answer # 2142

A youth criminal record can affect a young persons college or university opportunities, depending on the school and the program. Many programs will not enroll people with criminal records, and will require a police records check before admission. In some cases, the person may be able to become a student and take the necessary courses, but will be precluded from being licensed, (e.g., personal support worker, nurse). It is best to determine what the school and program requirements are before submitting an application. In some cases, if the offence was minor, the school or licensing board may permit the person to be enrolled or licensed. Otherwise, the young person will have to wait until the non-disclosure period has been reached before applying.

For more information on how to remove a youth criminal record, refer to How are youth criminal records sealed or destroyed?

Get help

To erase your criminal record, call toll-free 1-888-808-3628 or learn more at Pardon Partners. It’s easier than you think.

If you have been charged with a criminal offence, refer to our criminal law section.

Pardon Partners – CR ON PPardon Partners – CR ON P


You now have 4 options:

Request permission for your organization to copy information from this website.

Page loaded. Thank you